Thursday, March 31, 2011

Sun, Soil, Seeds

I suppose it's a bit dangerous to get this girl outside when the sun is shining and there is fertile soil with rows already made and seeds purchased to be planted.  Jeff and I have been working to prepare some garden plots at our place in preparation for the veggies, strawberries, asparagus, raspberries and black raspberry plants.  I have also this week been at the Wyse garden plot that I am also planting in.  It's the biggest garden area I have ever had access to :)  While I am thoroughly enjoying it now, I"m sure at some point this summer I will wonder why I felt the need to plant so many pea seeds, etc.  Let's just say that one double row wasn't quite enough space for 1# of peas.  And I have another 1# of another variety and 5#'s of snow peas (I've planted maybe 1/3 of the bag at this point).  I also planted 22# of potatoes today along with some spinach, lettuce, carrots and beets.

I started all of this planting on Tuesday and finished up today.  Good thing because it's calling for rain for the next while.  I still have some greensand to put on our home garden and do another tilling (hopefully tonight yet).  Typically I'd probably be overwhelmed by this amount of garden, but for this year, it's exactly what I need.  We have never gotten enough peas to last us long into the winter, so hopefully this year we will be supplied along with other people. 

The other thing that the sun, soil and seeds did for me today was spurred some thoughts that I'm sure have been ruminating in my head for awhile and for some reason today God wanted them to re-emerge.  We'll see if they take root and grow.  They were strong enough that when I got home I started writing them down. This is some of the list that got started.

Garden Thoughts - 3/31/11
1.  I'm finding myself eager to learn again - to grow (maybe it's time to really think about more school)
2.  I'm needing/wanting to earn some income (maybe an assistantship at a university)
3.  I know Jeff really wants to do some farming again - How can I support that?  (now and in the future?)
4.  I love to be outside and in a garden (ie. having summers off)
5.  I do enjoy an academic setting/schedule
6.  I am committed to and believe in the Mennonite church & schools
7.  I enjoy leadership - developing leaders and seeing them succeed
8.  Asking myself - what interests should I hone in on?  What am I passionate about?  Where do I see myself in the future?

So I've been asking myself what are things that I am interested in?  Here is my list so far.  For those of you who know me and want to suggest some other things that you know me to have passion/interest/gifts in at some point, feel free to comment.

Student development/leadership, staff/team development, education, 1st year experiences, mentoring/1-1 counseling, Mennonite schools, restorative justice, coaching, gardening/sustainability, retention in schools/jobs, experiential learning, balance & boundaries/personal care, healthy relationships/marriages...

So I don't know if these thoughts are directing me to some research ideas, but I have wondered again now if I should look into going on in schooling...not sure, still testing the waters.  If there are any suggestions anyone wants to send my way, I'd love to hear what thoughts have come to your mind.  Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. j
    maybe i'm stating the obvious, but its something I always consider as one of your strengths, and it is so clear here to me--there is a common thread of transformation--transforming pain/conflict/challenge/CHANGE into an opportunity for growth/restoration/learning/character development/relationship building. And you do it all with the humility of handing the glory to God instead of accepting it for yourself. seminary? ;)

    I am SO excited to hear about your plantings! You are planting, God is planting. be still and 'germinate' as God nurtures you and allows you to extend to a fullness of producing fruit--doing (another word for you that comes to mind is 'action', but in time.)m

    ReplyDelete