Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Dusting it Off

So today I pulled out my box of fabrics.  My original thought was to just bring some color into my life - let's just say I needed to do something. 

I was commenting recently to a friend that I thought I would title my next post "Bipolar" or I also thought about "Let the Tears Flow".  One of the things that I had told myself when I started this blog was that I needed to be real - to not just say what I think others would want to hear.  So the reality is that, true to form in past transitions, that it all hits for me a period of time later - maybe it's once I know that everyone else is doing okay, then I let down.

So all to say, the emotions have been all over, a true rollercoaster, thus - the bipolarness.  I know I should not joke about that, because I know and have worked with people who truly struggle with bipolar depression and it's not a journey I (or they) would want to be on.  I am grateful that my struggle is situational and not long-term.   More than likely it's seasonal - so the 2 degree mornings and now the grey days are about doing me in.  I'm sure it didn't help to just have read a book where the character had the opportunity to leave up-state New York in winter to go to Maui for a work trip and without thinking twice she left her husband home to do all the farming chores alone for a few months.  Let's just say, if presented with the opportunity to go south right about now, I wouldn't think twice and GO.  I'm trying hard to remember why we came here to Northwest Ohio, not that Harrisonburg is the best place to winter, but I'd at least be hoping that the sun would be shining.  For now I'm thinking much further south would be much better.

But since that won't happen (I've already begged Jeff to go somewhere and he didn't go for it) I decided today to try something new.  So I pulled out all of my fabric and had fun remembering the different things I made with certain fabrics.  I then decided it was time to set up my sewing machine.  So I pulled a table out of the garage, set it up in my room, dusted off the sewing machine and am going to see if any creativity can flow.  I have an idea but don't know if it will work or if I'll make myself even more crazy.

But for now it was fun to discover a mostly finished quilt top, some quilt squares from a class and a bunch of scraps.

I keep praying for April to come soon.

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to say - I completely understand the weather thing and it being gray and I want to assure you that it is not much better here in Harrisonburg, believe me!AND I love that sewing calms you down and reminds you of the past - my mom and I do the same thing... Say hello to Emily for me!!!
    Evan White

    ReplyDelete