Friday, February 18, 2011

A Taste of Spring

50 degrees and sunshine.  What would be better on a day like this than to dig in the soil and ride a bike!  I decided this morning when I noticed that most of the snow had melted that I would try and plant some of the bulbs that I had brought with me from VA.  I also had decided that I would take a bike ride.  I thought both of these things would be doable after the sun had come out and warmed it up to 50.  So after mixing up bread and doing some cleaning I decided I would ride my bike to the bulk food store to get a few things.  I pumped up the tires, found my helmet and headed out.  So whether I was oblivious to the wind or I didn't realize how sheltered we are with the trees, I was in for shock when I turned into the wind.  Let's just say that VA has mountains and Ohio has wind.  I got a good leg workout as I pedaled into the wind, going 6 mph.  I got my items at the store and headed home.  I was grateful that I could enjoy the ride home, riding with the wind most of the way.  So whether I was stupid or just determined I'm not sure.  But it felt good to get out on the road. 

After lunch I found my digger and the box of bulbs and went out to see where I could dig.  I was pleasantly surprised to find the sandy soil to be dark and easy to plant in.  So again whether I am stupid for thinking it's okay to plant at this point or just determined to get some dirt in my fingernails, it doesn't matter, because that was the best therapy I could have for today :)

For now I'm thankful for warmer weather, even though it will go away soon.  I will look forward to seeing the bulbs emerge later (hopefully in a month) and to riding my bike again soon.  Thanks God for the reprieve from the cold winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment