Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Mesmerized

Blizzard Warning...Gusting Winds...Power Outage potential...stock up on supplies.


This is what we started hearing a few days ago about the upcoming storm.  It was to start slowly on Monday night, a lull Tuesday morning and then it would hit.  We had about 2 inches of snow by Tuesday morning and then really nothing until last evening when the winds kicked in.  It definately felt like a blizzard.  I was starting to second guess why I didn't let Jeff go out and buy a secondary source of heat for us in case the electricity went out.  Instead I crawled into bed and prayed that it wouldn't be that bad. 

This morning when I took Jessie out we walked through some snow drifts that had accumulated on our drive but was amazed at how little snow we really got and that it was mostly just blowing existing snow around.  Of course the drifts were close to anything where there was something to stop the wind, so we have drifts by our garage and in our backyard amongst the trees.

So not more than 20 minutes later as I'm eating breakfast, I look out and the snow had started to come.  So I've joined Jeff on the couch that looks out the living room windows and am sitting watching the snow fall.  Big flakes.  Dropping straight down.  I find myself mesmerized by it, just like when I sit at a campfire and watch the flames. 

To celebrate Jeff's installation service this weekend we got him another bird feeder.  We put this one closer to the house and within two days the birds have started to use it.  So while watching the snow fall we are also watching the birds flitting from tree to bird feeder to tree to the ground and back.  The Dark Eyed Juncos are as numerous here as the sparrows were in Virginia.  I commented to Jeff today that we don't have sparrows and wouldn't you know soon after that a house sparrow came to the close feeder for me to see :)   I think we're going to start a bird list.  Mostly we have the Juncos, Blue Jays and Cardinals.  Jeff thinks he's seen snow buntings in the field but they haven't come to our place yet.  We've also had a Coopers hawk and another big one that we weren't able to identify.











Well I'm off to brave the outdoors to clean the snow off the feeder so that they can get to the seed again.  Then I'll be back inside, on the couch, mesmerized by the big flakes, the beautiful red of the Cardinal and closeness of the birds to our feeders.  I'm not sure much will get done today.  Pretty sure that's okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment